Mud Runner Classic 2012

All races are tough. If its easy, your not doing it right.

Mud runner as always been my favorite series. This is because when I first started running it was the first event I wanted to aim for, just because I seen an advert for it on the Great Outdoors shop. On this advertisement it stated the words "Nothing tougher". That translated to me as, if I can do that, I can do anything!

2 years ago I found myself on the start line. I done it.

Since then I have become a racer. I have a passion in competing to the best of my ability and seeing other people seeing a boundary and smashing it.

D-man and I have cycled to Newport and back over 2 days and we've completed a 104 mile ride in 1 day. We Have also rode down to my Dad's In Porthcawl (All of 80 miles and he didn't even break a sweat!)

So, with little training he rocked up to the Mud runner. He didn't just finish, he managed a very creditable 2 hours 50 minutes and 26 seconds with a place of 1983/2282

What a Rock Star!

D-man, ready to race like a Pro!
 11 years ago I sat next to Fuzz in Mrs Fenn's classroom (Yr 4 baby!). Throughout the years we have stayed good mates, and I appreciate him as a friend. Over recent months we have been doing shoe-less hill reps and 3 mile runs together. For someone who as never really kept fit and never participated in any sort of sport, the Mud runner- the "nothing tougher" event was never going to be easy. So when  he found himself on the start line today, whatever happened, he was a winner. Of cause the start line was "the start" He managed 3.8 miles to the water station. 3.8 miles of mud, 3 feet of water and varying amounts of undulation.

Its unfortunate that he did not finish, However its the furthest distance he as ever ran and he even suggested trying it again sometime. Racer!

Fuzz, Mr L and Me - post race smiles!
"Sam, do you want to come to running club?" I ask
"eeehh mmm, I don't know!" he say's in reply.

If Carlsburg made mates, then they would look a bit like L.

Over the winter we started with jogs around the Rope walk to Wilton bridge. Being the champion moaner groaner that he is, we would get to Wilton and he would be breathing like Darvader and swearing at me under his breath. These short jogs soon escalated to 4 mile runs. Before he knew it, he was smashing out 6 mile runs on his own after work.

Earlier this year he dragged me the last mile and a half in the Gloucester Marathon. He also ran a mile for sports relief in just over a 7 minute/mile pace!

I won't kiss his a*s too much more, but what an inspiration? I know with a bit more training he's going to be seriously good.

He knocked out a 2.07.29 and 1298/2282.

But I think his key achievement today was squeezing out a post race pain face....



Before all this, there was also time for the Pre-race photos...


I would like to Thank Mark 1 corp; Katrina and Jo especially for the fantastic-camp-fluorescent T shirts with our names on it and the team name (for only £10!) picked by Mr L " The Razzle Dazzlers Of Fantazzmagazzles".

2 years time? Who knows..



Comments

Popular Posts