The world moves on...

I am guilty of overthinking these things sometimes (a mental health nurse overthinking? What?), but things have moved on in the world beyond recognition.

Twelve years ago I would upload photos from my Blackberry Curve; using a USB cable to my laptop- It took time, it was tedious and there was a certain skill (very small one, but there was!). Nowadays, I have an app on my android phone where I can upload photos straight to my blog- it’s simple.

Other things have changed as well, cars! Remember handbrakes what you had to mechanically pull up, or CD’s that you had to store in the door bins; and physically put them into a machine. Always a nightmare whilst doing 70 down the M50… Nowadays I have Amazon Music on my phone that streams to my car audio system (via an aux lead- I’m not that modern!).

Another thing that came to my mind whilst thinking of this blog post, was money and how we spend it; we very rarely use cash these days; its all contactless or smartphone app. Certainly makes it easier to spend; but who remembers writing a cheque?

I sound like an old-cynical-man, but the truth is I’m not. I embrace the above. But it’s only when you take time to reflect you realise how far we have come in the last decade.

The next decade promises to be just as interesting and forward moving: Sustainability and acting on climate change being the main focuses, I would imagine. If the theme of the late 90’s and early 00’s was around making things easier; the 20’s and 30’s will be moving on to keeping those things that made life easier- but making them more sustainable. It’s sad in one way; I will never own an affordable V12 engined car; but it’s exciting because I will most likely rent/loan/finance something which is 10x faster and better. Let’s just wait!

So as exciting as the future is, and how great the past is; it’s now time to sit and reflect and enjoy how far we have come. Not just as community, but on a personal level. It’s time to reflect and take stock. This is where living in the present takes over. Where are you now? Right this moment? I’m currently sat at the laptop with my second coffee if the day. Previous to this I was on a dog walk. Keep it simple.

Where are you now? 

 


Comments

Popular Posts