keep on Running!

Right- first things first: If you want back-to front-caps and carbon plated vapor-f*cks, then this is not the right blog for you. 

If that's how you enjoy running, then carry on. Each to our own. 

I have been there. 

Chasing times, critiquing everyone else's runs on Strava, and giving everyone advice in the process. It's a bit dickish and not needed. 

But, over the last 4 years I've banged on about "Enjoying the process". This is a term coined by Tom Williams and Martin Yelling in Marathon Talk- the original series, not the new ones! 

Enjoying the process really does change your thoughts when it comes to running, or indeed anything. The concept of enjoying the training, the journey, opposed to becoming obsessed with the destination. Steve and Brad from Growth EQ often talk about this (I promise I will re-learn how to hyperlink!), but we spend more time climbing up the mountain than sitting at the peak. 

Another term that's been coined a lot is "No ones going to the Olympics". I think that's such a great line to keep you grounded when you become obsessed with splits, or what someone else is doing. 

Ultimately what that line is suggesting is that no one gives a f*ck. The average club runner isn't going to the Olympics. You may win a parkrun, but by next week that will be forgotten about. You may get a PB, but by time you get home, you'll be entering your next race to beat that PB. 
By enjoying the process you engage with life right now, and you appreciate where you are. 

For me this as helped, a lot. 

If I want to run up a mountain, I will. If I want to lie in, I will. If I want to set a PB, I will train, but that's my perogative and my decision. 

Think about your last run.

Did you enjoy it? 

Comments

Popular Posts