Sad News and Double Race Weekend

Saturday morning, got up around 07:00. Had porridge, watched telly, usual stuff. Around 10:00 we were about to leave to head down to Margam Park for the Gwent Cross Country, when my mum phoned with news of a close relative passing away that morning. 

As if someone turned a light off or triggered a switch; all my enthusiasm and excitement for the day had disappeared. 

There wasn't a lot I could do hanging around at home, so I thought I would make the most of the day and head down to Margam; and it's always good to go for a run in the fresh air and see familiar faces! 

On Arrival at the Gwent XC the team mates went for a warm-up run. As they ran, I went for a walk around the familiar place (My dad lives down the road in Porthcawl, so I knew the area well). As I was walking around, I felt this feeling of emptiness come over me; and a tear came to my eye. 

The club mates came back from their warm-up, and I took a photo of the ladies team in thier Monross vests. Following this they went over to the start line; by then I met some other runners I knew from FoDAc and Builth-Wells. We stood and watched the women’s race... Then it was time for the men’s. 

Again, I was on the start line feeling less than enthusiastic. 3,2,1 go! The gun sounded and everyone sprinted off down the field. Because this was the first race of the weekend I decided to take it steady; the course was one small lap and three big laps; there was plenty of time to make places up.


After the small lap I got in the mix with a group of runners and I made it my aim to stick with them; which I succeeded. On the last lap I was able to pick up the pace and come relatively high up in this group I was with. I can’t complain- Sometimes its nice just to surprise yourself!


On Sunday it was the last Fell Race of the South Wales Hill Series, this was a 2 mile run up to Pen Tir Drop, around the cairn and then back down. My climbing was rubbish- my legs felt heavy from the word go. Nothing flowed and everything struggled; there were beads of sweat dripping on the floor off my forehead- lush! At the Cairn we turned around for the return journey; I overtook this one runner, within a matter of strider, he re-overtook me and that was the last I saw of him. I finished the fell off-road bit, and then got onto the road for the last 500 metres where I sprinted hard… Turns out my hard sprint was a bit flat after Saturday! I came in 9th place: 6th overall in the South Wales Hill Series.


What can I say? Sometimes you need to keep perspective. This weekend was in memory of this family member. Back in his time, he was a sports person who would often be in the papers for cricket, football and rugby. He was a well-known and well liked sports person in the Forest. I really admire that; and I like to think his legacy lives on in my sporting achievements.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts