Sub 2 hour marathon in crocs please...

I'm a bit of a running geek... Not to mention a leader and trainee coach in the sport. I love the sport, I can't lie. I love the community, the banter and the great 'man up' type approach to the sport. 

What I'm not sure I do like though is the idea of Nike making millions out of marketing the idea of athletes running sub 2 hours. Yes- it's a great feat in sports engineering, and it's an exciting time to be alive. But, it's not very organic is it? 

Of course I'm talking about the new extra light, extra cushioned, springy Nike air max training shoes. If you gave a man great work tools of course he's going to perform well. Give a 22 year old lad a Focus RS and of course he will drive faster than someone who drives an Astra diesel. There's no talent or skill; just pure money and Technology, which lets face it as no real depth. 

We also need to remember that Nike are still fixing their problems from the early 90's. The; 'let's make a trainer that's cushioned. Oh no people are injured, let's make a trainer that's minimal.'

On the other hand; it's great that the sub 2 hour marathon will happen within our lifetime, hopefully in May this year. But I just wish it was more organic. Maybe shoeless? The use of natural spring from elasticity of the posterior kinetic chain is much more impressive than some over priced training shoe. 

To celebrate. I'm going to run a sub 1:20HM. In crocs. Or slippers. 


Comments

Popular Posts