Sometimes you eat the Bear...

...Other times bear eats you. Unfortunately the bear didn't just eat me today, he knee striked me in the balls and punched me in the face!

I think the best way of describing the Forest of Dean Half Marathon training this year as "Dynamic". Actual running miles over the winter months were very low; however, the amount of strength/ circuit training exercise is very high.. So swings and roundabouts!

I felt strong, I thought this would have been enough. I thought that the miles of last years Marathon and Ultra Marathon would still be in my legs... But I was naive! 

For a start I have had a line of sleepless nights, with limited consumption of alcohol.. It all adds up! Alongside this the night before the race I had horrible case of ashma... i.e. sounding like Dawf Vader!

So with all this in mind I got to the start line already feeling "Meh" about the 13.1 mile trot!

I set off at a 6.15 min/mile pace, looking back, this was much too fast, but at this point I felt strong. I held this for 3 miles then I had to drop down to 6.30's. I got to the 10k point in a creditable 38 minutes. Following this the next 10k felt like a life time. My legs felt strong but I couldn't get the "power down" so to speak. Then, a blister started to develop on the arch of my foot (I've done 300 miles in these trainers blister free, I'm not sure why this happened!). 11 miles came and one more hill to go, I was in a mess, almost walking! I've competed in nearly 20 Half Marathons, it's been a while since I've felt like this!

I eventually got to the finish line in 1 hour 34, which is slower than last year, in which it was slower than the year before.

Ey oh, time to refocus!

Time for a coffee and a Jaffa Cake I think!

Comments

Popular Posts