The Importance of Keeping Calm!

Is it just me? Everyone seems to be stressed out! I used to work for a company where the owner used to be for ever stressed, as a knock on effect all his employees got stressed. I used to be the relaxed easy going one of the team and I'd always come across as being lazy and "not in to it". It's almost as though, if you're not getting stressed, then you don't really care about the business and the bid for financial growth. Well, I can categorically say, that is a lie. It's been proven time after time (and you don't need to look far for evidence to back this up!) that stress is not an effective way of running a business or in-fact your life.

It seems to be a given that life is an emergency, after-all we only have 100 years at most on this planet! However, there are two ways you can spend your relatively short time on earth... either having a mega stress out everyday, or just taking a step back and having a look at what we have, what we need to do and how are we going to do it.

After working for this company where I couldn't really understand every-ones outlook to business, I decided to incorporate my passion for sport and fitness with the business world and go into the exercise suite industry. On my first evening at the Multi-Fitness-Suite, a staggering two people turned up in four hours! That evening I went home and thought, what the hell have I put myself in for? I won't have a job by Christmas at this rate!

Well, I practiced my idea about keeping calm and laid back, however still maintained my enthusiasm for success and my motivation levels went up without me even knowing. Along the way I have been Marketing using tools such as Facebook and Twitter, also using a (What I call) Networking Techniques. The idea behind the Networking Technique is that you get one person to come to your business. That one person will then go off and tell a mate/ family member, before you know it you have two customers and so on... I was unsure about this technique when I first dreamt it up, however 5 months have gone by and we have raised our numbers from 2 people to 31 people and then last night we had 41 people turn up.

I'm not saying that I was right, and I am not bigging myself up; however, by keeping calm and looking at what we had to do, I have managed to increase membership 20 times over to the gym, whilst staying relaxed, easygoing and enthusiastic. I now have such a love for my job and I feel that it's going to go from strength to strength.

Another thing I have learnt in the last 5 months is not to be controlling. I'm not saying I've dropped all my worries and I couldn't give a fuck! I mean simple things such as people pushing in, cutting me up in my car, being rude and many other things. I'm not saying by any means I have became a "walk over " type of person, but I have started questioning the importance of different things. For example; A person pushed in front of me at the buffet cart at an Hotel on Holiday over Christmas. By analysing the situation I thought to myself, "Is it worth getting stressed about?". The answer is obviously no! It won't matter in 5 minutes time, nor in 5, 10, 15 years time. So ultimately what I'm driving at is that life is not a big emergency, take a deep breath and let it go! You'll thank yourself for it!

Here's a few sentences I have found in Richard Carlsons "Don't Sweat the small stuff".

-Don't sweat the small stuff
-Make peace with Imperfections
-Let go of the idea that super relaxed people can't be high achievers
-Be aware of the snowball effect of your thinking
-Develop your compassion

Normal service will be resumed to the Gavster Jonesy Blog shortly!!

N-Man using the Gym

Up for the Challenge?

N-man hard at work

N-man rowing
Have a cool one!:)

Comments

Popular Posts