Ultra running experience

Every now and then something takes your fancy. It feels right at the time and you don’t need any justification to do it, no more so than the Cardiff 50 mile Ultra marathon. Back last August I was down the running club and Alan mentioned he was thinking about trying this 50 mile ultra, It instantly sparked an interest. What do you need to run an ultra? How can you run an Ultra and what sort of mileage do you need to be doing in training to be able to run?

Following this I then looked into the world of Ultra running and answered a lot of questions on my own and by asking Alan and Phil Butler and after a chat with a couple of my mates, by October I had entered. In November I came down with a bad case of knotted muscle fibres in my Soleus. The Soleus is the muscle just underneath the Gastrocnemius or “calf” muscle. This meant that for a full recovery I needed to take 6 weeks out of the running and cycling world, with only swimming to keep my fitness up. By the end of December I was back running again, but albeit a lot slower and aching like a B*ch.  By now I had decided the 50 miler was not going to happen. 

Weeks go by and week after week I could feel myself getting stronger again. By March I was able to run 20 miles as a long run on a Sunday in 2 consecutive weeks and at a half decent 8 min/mile. I decided I would give the 50 a go. April came around and I had managed to get up to 50 mile weeks, which was the most I had ever done.  Within these 50 mile weeks the longest single run I done was a 32. This was done in 4 hours 15. I also managed to train in taking nutrition on whilst moving and the effects of listening to Snowpatrol at mile 28 and feeling great! So it was a given,  50 miles, one day… let’s see what can be done.

Saturday 18th May 

Saturday afternoon 2.30pm- l man comes to call for me to pick up Fuzz and then Alan from Belmont Bus stop. We pack the car outside the Flat then go to pick up Fuzz.

3.15pm- We pick up Alan from Belmont and then we get on our way.

4.30pm- Book into the Hotel, £5 extra for breakfast and the helpful landlord says he will get up extra early to cook for us… Happy days!

6pm onwards- Myself, Alan, Lman and Fuzz decide to try and find a Weatherspoons in the hope of consuming one last CHO nutritious meal before the next morning. Unfortunately Brecon fails to have a Weatherspoons (Even Ross manages to get one!) so we ended up in a “Wetherspoons wannabe” pub.
Following the meal we went for a walk down to the Theatre where the race was going to start the next day and then went for a wander around. then to cap the evening off Lime and Soda sat outside the Hotel… All is well! 

Sunday 19th May- Race Day!

5.30AM- Alarm goes off. Black Coffee and TV for 30 minutes.

6.00AM- Alan and I go down for Breakfast and unfortunately that ever so helpful landlord at 4.30PM yesterday was unable to serve breakfast because of unforeseen circumstances. What a lovely guy!

So, luckily Alan was Ultra organised and packed enough food for both of us. We each had a Bagel with Peanut butter and a Banana with another black coffee. Soon enough Full and L man emerge and we are ready to leave the Hotel at 7AM.

We got down to the race start about 7.15, registered and picked up our numbers. Following this we stood around outside for 20 minutes where Andrew and Heather had turned up from Ross running club. We exchanged numbers and chatted about where we would all be meeting up during the day. 

7.45 We went in the theatre for a race briefing off the race organiser, he mentioned the words “easy” Hell of a lot! 

8.00 came around, had our picture taken and embarked on the adventure.

The first 10 miles went by very well. Me and Alan stuck together talking about the race, the people around us and what we wanted out of the day. We had both decided not to chase a time as it was very warm and sunny (20 Degrees is hot when your used to running in about 12 degrees!). 

Soon enough the half marathon distance came along, Mum, Dad, Nathan, L man and Fuzz was all together waving and clapping. What a brilliant day! We were already in Taf Fechan and on target. 

We were running strongly at this point and my Dad even commented after that he would of put a month’s wages on it that I would finish… Brave words!

25 miles came along and Andrew and Heather were waiting for us. We were on our 4 hour target and I was feeling good. Andrew joined us running whilst Heather drove the car 13 miles up the road to re pick up Andrew.

25 miles upwards the heat, the lack of training, the lack of experience and the lack of good nutrition and hydration caught up with me. In an half marathon you can shrug it off and persevere, in a marathon you can shrug it off and grunt/swear and close your eyes, but you can get through it. In Ultra running you sit with it and deal with the pain. My run turned into a walk, the whole world becomes a disorientated blur and I was a mess.

I had an agreement with Alan that when he was ready he could go on, as he was more trained than me and more ready for this whole experience, it didn’t seem fair to hold him back. He was running strong and feeling good. Before Alan left he said don’t do anything stupid and he would see us later. The words “Don’t do anything stupid” stayed with me. 

At 28 miles I ran into the 3rd checkpoint and I was broken. I stared at the food table and none of it looked at all appetising. I knew I needed to take something on though. So I ate some Haribo and a mini mars bar.  Mars bars usually taste sweet and good, on a hot day after nearly 30 miles of running it tasted of dog shit (I am yet to try!). 

I decided as I couldn’t take on food, I would have a drink. Coke seemed the obvious choice as it is 40% sugar. So I filled up my water bottle, picked up a spare and was on my way walking with Andrew drinking Coke.

After 10 minutes I had consumed my coke and decided to have a go at running. 5 steps later and my stomach came out my mouth. I was dizzy, sick and disorientated with another 20 miles to cover, I threw in the towel and said I wanted to finish. I phoned my Dad to say I was just off the A470 and I wanted picking up, I have had enough. Following this I clambered off the cycle track onto the wall then over to the road. Shouted good bye to Andrew and then walked down the A470. Soon enough my Dad pulled up behind me with L man and Fuzz following in a car behind. We drove down to the next layby where I sat on the tailgate of L man’s car sipping lucazade and feeling like a true fallen ultra runner (with cap and backpack as well!). I phoned up the race organiser to say I was out and then got back in the car where I instantly fell asleep. Later that evening me and Dad had a wander around Ross, I couldn’t but help feel regret. 

This whole experience was such a learning curve, for a start I do not know the first thing about Ultra running. It is the most painful thing anyone can ever do. A wise man once quoted that drink and drugs are for people who can’t handle ultra-running. I feel that is so true.

Alan said not to do anything stupid as he left me, how stupid can you be in an organised event? The chances are I could of finished. However I would have been paying a high price and to be honest it’s a price I really did not want to be paying with weekly cycling time trials and loads of other things I enjoy doing. I also know that if I would of carried on I might of found myself in hospital. A price I really did not want to pay.
The world of Ultra running as intrigued me and I feel that it is fair to say that I have some unfinished business to tie up. Alongside this, I feel with a bit more training, more races and to learn how to refuel efficiently on a run, I should one day finish that race. Until that time comes,

Happy days! =]

L man driving up to Hereford

Taff trail sign in Brecon the night before

The theater in Brecon, with the sun set

L man and Fuzz

L man on race morning

Fuzz on race morning

Me and L man with a cupper

Race begins

Alan getting into his stride

Good view, zen times

Alan at Talybont reservoir

View from the climb

Alan just after taking a picture

Tallybont reservoir

Beuatifull view over the reservoir

Alan on one of the climbs

action shot

one of many great views



Someones looking way too happy!






Alan and myself with the ultra runner beard that I tried to grow!


Merthyr

Talybont on Usk, happy days! =]

Comments

Popular Posts