Welsh 10 mile Time Trial championship

Were my finest half hour.

Turning up at 8am and looking around the field at the rest of the competitors, I must admit I did feel anxious. Having never entered an open TT what to expect?

Everyone had shiny clean kit, fresh out of the bike shop look. Aero helmets, overshoes and thousands of pounds worth of Time trial bikes flooded the field where we had parked. There was the distinct noise of all the budding athletes warming up on there turbo trainers, making the whole place sound like a busy airport.

Now me on the other hand... My trusty Cube Peloton (or, maybe not so) with Time trial bars wracked on, fresh off a Commute to work on the Saturday (including road grime engraved on the paint work!) took to the stage!

My warm up consisted of pumping up my tyres, sitting in the car and sipping out of my water bottle! As it happens, 9am came around and it was time for me to get my race face on and swoop off. Leaving Abergavenny on the A40 heading towards Raglan, I notched it up a couple of gears and pumped off down to the starting layby. My off time was 9.30, so I had a good 15 minutes stand around time (doing the I NEED A PEE dance!). 9.28 came, person left in front, I started the watch. Held up on the pedals and Clipped on to the bike, usually in club timetrials small talk is made. this time, just silence. Half a minute, 15 seconds, 10 seconds, 5,4,3,2,1... dig dig dig! This is that moment when you don't want to lose balance and fall to the floor clipped on to the bike.

I was off, full pelt for 10 miles. Legs spinning like Steam pistons. after 4 miles I was gaining on the man in front. Just after the turn I over took him. Within 30 seconds of pulling in from the overtake, a guy from wiggle who had started off a minute behind, overtook me. It made me jump, it sounded like some sort of Rolf Harris wobble board. I tried to hold him, but to no avail.

Beep on my watch, 9 miles came. 1 mile to go, time to show that much loved painface. For the first time in a while, I was working full out. My legs were pushing the highest gear I had. 10 miles came, I crossed the line.. my time was made.

23.54, a new PB for a 10 mile TT. 73 out of 109. Setting the standard.

Check out the stats!

Comments

Popular Posts